Salesperson's Course

The first step in becoming a licensed real estate agent is to take the NYS Salesperson's 75 hour Qualifying Course. The course is offered several times per year at the Greater Syracuse Association of REALTORS (GSAR). 

GSAR Location: 5958 E. Taft Rd., North Syracuse, NY 13212

Click on the link at the bottom of this page to download a two-page Salesperson's Course brochure with schedule and registration form

Next Class Begins January 8, 2013.


Course Fee: $495, including text book;  $527.39 with textbook and optional Total Recall Learning study aid, GSAR's multimedia study guide. 

A licensing candidate may take the course final examination only upon satisfactory completion of the attendance requirements. An exam score of 70% must be achieved in order to successfully complete the course. A make up exam is available in the event the course exam is not passed. Successful completion of both attendance and exam requirements entitles the licensing candidate to sit for the New York State examination

 Registration Information: Download and print the two-page brochure below (scroll to bottom of page).  Mail or fax the registration form and payment to GSAR. If you are unable to download the brochure, please contact Sue at (315) 457-5979 x24.


Salesperson's Course Topics:

  • License Law & Regulations
  • The Law of Agency
  • Legal Issues
  • The Contract of Sales and Leases
  • Real Estate Finance
  • Land Use Regulations
  • Construction and Environmental Issues
  • Valuation Process and Pricing Properties
  • Human Rights and Fair Housing
  • Real Estate Mathematics
  • Municipal Agencies
  • Property Insurance
  • Taxes and Assessments
  • Condominiums and Cooperatives
  • Commercial and Investment Properties
  • Income Tax Issues in Real Estate Transactions
  • Mortgage Brokerage
  • Property Management

NYS Requirements for Licensing as a SALESPERSON are:

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Be a United States citizen or be a legal, permanent resident
  • Have no felony convictions (contact NY Department of State for clarification)
  • Complete the 75-hour licensing course
  • Pass the NY Department of State Salesperson licensing exam ($15)
  • Have a sponsoring New York State Broker
  • Apply for a Salesperson license ($50 for two years)

As of July 1, 2008, the Salesperson and Broker's requirements have changed. Click here for more information.

If you have any questions in regards to the Salesperson Course please contact Sue at 315.457.5979 x 24

To contact the New York State Department of State with licensing questions, call 315.428.4258.


Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if I take the course but am not ready to apply for my license? Your 75 hour course completion certificate is good for eight years. If you are not ready to apply for your license at the end of the course, you must hold on to your certificates until you are ready. Remember the NYS exam results are good for two years.

I had a license many years ago but let it lapse. Do I have to go through the licensing procedure again? If you took the 45 hour licensing course before July 1, 2008, this certificate is still valid.  If your license expired more than two years ago, you will have to take the NYS exam again before you can renew your license. If your license expired less than two years ago, you only need to compete the 22 1/2 hours of continuing education before you renew your license. In either case, your broker must sign the renewal form.

If I miss a portion of the Qualifying Course what happens? According to the New York Department of State, you must complete 90% of the class time in order to pass the course. In other words, if you miss more than 7.5 hours of the entire class, you will automatically fail.

Who needs a license? According to Article 12-A of the Real Property Law,“anyone who negotiates any form of real estate transaction for another and for compensation of any kind in the State of New York” needs a license.

What is the difference between a broker and a salesperson? A broker is the owner or corporate officer of the firm. The broker sponsors, trains, and supervises all the real estate activities of the agents for which he/she is responsible. A salesperson works for and under the direction of the sponsoring broker.

Do I need a sponsoring broker to take the course? No, many people take the course for personal reasons and have no intention of getting a license. You also do not need a sponsoring broker to take the State exam, you do need one to apply for your license.

For more FAQ's on licensing click here.

Salesperson Licensing Course brochure JAN 2013.pdf243.65 KB